Many of us often wrongly assume that our customers fully understand the length and breadth of our service or product offering. It can then come as quite a shock when they say “Oh I didn’t know you did that.” And it can be particularly galling when they turn to one of your competitors for that provision.
So within the best marketing strategies, there should always be an area set aside for existing customers. The idea here is definitely not to turn customers off by continually bombarding them with sales offer after sales offer.
Instead, the marketing approach should be about using engaging and interesting touch points to broaden their understanding of your wider offering.
The more interactive and interesting you can make these experiences, the more the customer will remember your message and think of you when they have a need.
Clever Marketing Ideas
To give you some ideas, here are some example campaigns we have recently helped our clients with. And if you’ve found a particular way to stop being pigeonholed by customers please let us know.
- A newsletter or customer magazine showcasing different case studies (the better the storytelling, the more memorable the message is).
- A personalised direct mail piece pointing to a personalised web page (PURL) where the customer could request a test drive of a new car model that had just launched and enter a related competition.
- Where the product/service range wasn’t too lengthy, making a feature of it in the footer of customer communications, email signatures and corporate stationery (especially on the backs of business cards).
- Creating a content marketing campaign around a number of successful projects completed. Channelling these through the organisation’s social media channels and other customer communications. These stories featured tips/key learning points for other customers to apply.
- Instigating a 3-month ‘after sales’ follow-up call to see how things were and passing on a relevant special offer and product sample.
- Using video examples of case studies and new product demos in a digital customer magazine.
- Listing a company’s service range more succinctly and clearly on their website’s homepage.
If you want to avoid being pigeon holed by current and potential customers, and would like to discuss additional ideas please get in touch with Clever Marketing.